Tuesday, January 24, 2012

SS Notebooking: Famous Americans

I am finally getting around to posting pictures of our Famous Americans unit. Today definitely left me with a headache as I came to the realization that I had a few girlfriend/boyfriend couples in my room. I had no idea that they were even there yet. Oh the knowledge that comes from reading passed notes! The drama that followed was unbearable, "We broke up yesterday but I know he still has feelings for me." WHAT?!?! However, after my "third graders are too young for boyfriends and girlfriends" spiel I did have some students say "ewww gross". So thankfully they're not all there yet!
Anywho back to social studies.....The way most of my lessons for the unit went were:
-Read page in text (This is their first year with a Social Studies textbook so they are super excited and love to look at all the glossy pictures!)
-Find definition/description of person on vocabulary sheet
-Brainstorm ideas for a brain picture to represent that person
-Independent or partner work in notebooks


Title Page & Table of Contents (This student loved to decorate every page!)
In the library pocket are famous American trading cards we made for every person we studied.

Trading Cards: Picture and name are on the front, 3 facts are on the back

Vocabulary/Brain Picture Page & KWL

George Washington CLOZE activity (we did this before reading)
3-2-1: 3 things I learned, 2 thing I found interesting, 1 question I have

Thomas Jefferson booklet and acrostic poem

Inside the Thomas Jefferson booklet

Lincoln Blanks-Fill-In, Campaign Poster

Rosa Parks Newspaper Article (The students wrote as if they were on the bus with her and were writing a column for the next day's paper.),
Interview with Thurgood Marshall (The students had to come up with 4 thick questions and answer them as they think Marshall would have.)

Movie Strip from MLK Jr.'s life,
5W (who, what, when, where, why) for Cesar Chavez

Holiday Grid, NB Rubric
The students and  I really had fun with this unit. I can't wait to teach it again next year so I can tweak and improve the unit.

5 comments:

Emily Brown said...

Woooowww!! LOVE LOVE LOVE all of these ideas. I'm student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom right now and we are learning this very thing! These are some fantabulous ideas for having them present their info that they are collecting!! Thanks for sharing. LOVE this.
-Emily
http://circusoflearning.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth said...

I love your notebooking activities. I'm getting ready to blog about trading cards myself :)
The campaign poster is great! Definitely using that in the future.

Thanks for the ideas.

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

Kelley Cirrito said...

I just found your great blog and am your newest follower! I can't wait to share ideas!

Amber @ Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher said...

I pinned this! I love your Notebooking. I am planning on starting notebooking in the content areas next year, I will definitely be using you as a resource.

P.S. I can't believe you are a first year teacher, you are definitely rocking it out.


Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

Amy and Elliot said...

This is so great! Thanks for posting. I'm creating a unit on famous Americans for my 2nd grade student teaching placement. This gave me some great ideas :)