Saturday, June 18, 2011

Incorporating Math Work Stations into 3rd grade

So, I was reading Mrs.Randall's post and it inspired me to share my thoughts on Debbie Diller's book Math Work Stations. I did not purchase the book but thanks to Primary Inspired I was able to read the book online here for FREE.

My school uses the Math Investigations curriculum and I plan on incorporating Math Work Stations next year for a "blended" approach. We are required to have 70 minutes of math a day but often Investigations only takes 30-45 minutes. I plan on using the remaining time each day for math work stations and pulling groups to remediate the Investigation lessons.

I love my classroom even though it is the smallest in our grade level. I have been thinking about layouts ever since Diller convinced me that I should have an area in my room devoted to math, similar to a classroom library. I've decided to combine my classroom meeting area with my classroom library (to save room) at the front of the classroom, right in front of the Promethean board. This way, I can have a smaller class meeting place at the back of my room, right in front of a chalkboard that I plan on devoting to all things math. It is in this back area that I will host my work station activities.

Please feel free to contribute your thoughts or any ideas you plan to implement for your classroom. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

I am going to have to read this book! I want to try it, but I don't know how I'll blend it into what I'm required to do.